This Intensive offers intermediate photographers the opportunity to dive into Street Photography, gain confidence taking pictures in public places, and acquire the knowledge, techniques, and artistic background needed for creating arresting imagery in this dynamic environment.
Fascinated by the human experience, street photographers creatively document unique (and often decisive) moments, sharing their personal perspectives while offering viewers glimpses into the realistic theatrics of everyday life. Through lectures, assignments, critique sessions, and class discussions, students examine practical, cultural, and visual aspects of this genre, explore approaches practiced by leaders in the field, and identify their own interests and artistic voice. As they develop their portfolios, students can learn how to self-publish their imagery, make use of portable lighting techniques, or expand their work into documentary photography.
The Street Photography Intensive can be completed in its entirety online. Additional onsite courses included in the program are offered for students visiting or living in New York.
Topics of study include:
- The history of street photography
- Strategies for photographing strangers
- Technical guidelines for photographing in changing environments
- Aesthetic choices and sensitivities
- Developing photo series and/or a personal voice
- Image selection and sequencing
- Working on zines and photography books
- Portable lighting equipment and techniques
- Street photography best practices
- Introduction to documentary photography
- Understand and practice technical, practical, and cultural aspects of photographing in public places
- Capture surprising, interesting, and compelling images
- Develop your visual background and personal style
- Understand how to create a portfolio and acquire initial editing skills
- Adopt industry-leading methodologies and practices
- Prepare your work for self-publication
- Official ICP digital certificate (see requirements below)
- $150 total savings after completing all courses
- Exclusive early registration period before each term
- Personal consultation by ICP staff (upon request)
- The opportunity of having your work highlighted by ICP (website, social media, etc.)
Framework & Courses
This Intensive includes three stages. Stage I courses offer an introduction to the genre of Street Photography and cover the technical and practical aspects of this field. Stage II courses allow students to learn and practice advanced methodologies, receive important critique for their work, and develop their personal portfolio. Finally, Stage III offers a selection of electives enabling learning and practicing various advanced techniques or exploring the genre of Documentary Photography depending on students’ interests and needs.
Stage I - Introduction Courses
(successfully complete one of the following courses/combinations):
- Photographing People in Public: Intro to Street Photography (online)
- Introduction to Street Photography: Capturing the Fleeting Moment (online)
- Taking it to the Streets: Impromptu Portraits (online and onsite)
- Street Portraits: Intention and Improvisation (onsite)
- Combination - Street Photography: Curiosity, Instinct, and Comfortable Shoes (onsite) + On the Street: Approaching Strangers (onsite) (note that of both courses need to be taken to complete the Stage I requirement)
Stage II - Advanced Courses
(successfully complete at least one of the following courses):
- Advanced Street Photography: Finding Your Voice (online)
- Street Immersion (onsite and online)
- Street Photography – Taking the Pulse of the City (online)
Stage III - Elective courses
(successfully complete at least one of the following courses):
- On The Street: From Imaging to Editing (onsite)
- Urban Constructs: The Cityscape in Photography (online)
- The Poetics of Documentary Photography (online)
- Ethics in Documentary Photography (online)
- Mining Your Photographic Archives: Building a New Body of Work (online)
- Mastering the Portable Flash and Portable Lighting Kit (onsite)
- Zines from Start to Finish (online)
- Publishing a Photography Book (online)
- STORYTELLING: Selecting, Sorting and Sequencing Your Pictures for a Book (online)
Most courses range between 5-10 meetings. Click on ‘Register for Upcoming Courses’ for a list of next available classes including dates, course descriptions, faculty, and tuition (fees are presented before discount).
- All courses need to be completed within a period of 1-year from the date of registration (excluding approved past courses)
- A selection of classes will be available for registration at each stage of the program, but ICP may choose not to run all courses each term.
- Courses should be taken in order according to the program’s structure. Only Stage II and Stage III courses may be taken in parallel.
- Advanced students can choose to skip Stage I, but need to complete an additional course in Stage II or III.
- Completion of more than one course in Stage I does not credit other stages.
- Retroactive registration to this certificate program is allowed also after completing one of the courses in Stage I or Stage II.
The Street Photography Intensive is an intermediate program: You are comfortable using your camera, whether film or digital, and with your photographic practice. You have experience using Adobe applications such as Lightroom or Photoshop. You may want to understand how to utilize your camera in a more thoughtful and articulate way, practice creative methodologies, or learn how to utilize theoretical concepts in relation to your portfolio of work. Students must meet the prerequisites of each course they register for as part of the program.
Enrollment to the Street Photography Intensive is open throughout the year. Once enrolled, students may select their preferred courses (see ‘Register for Upcoming Courses’ above). Use the ‘Enroll in Intensive’ button below to submit your online application form (no preparations are needed).
Depending on students’ course selection, the total tuition can range between $1290–$2455 and includes:
- A non-refundable registration fee of $450
- The discounted fees of the selected and studied courses. Courses’ fees range between $415-$965 and enrolled students receive $200 discounts on each of their courses (total discount of $600).
As a limited promotion, ICP may approve and credit courses previously taken at ICP towards completion of the Intensive, and adjust the registration fee and remaining discounts accordingly (see Special Promotion).
Students must pass all required courses before receiving ICP certification. All courses must be completed within a period of 1-year from the date of registration (excluding approved past courses). Additionally, to receive their certificate, students need to present an edited and sequenced selection of 10-20 pictures they have photographed as part of this program. Once a student completes the requirements, a request for the certificate should be submitted using the button below.