International Center Of Photography
ICP Members enjoy exclusive privileges at the ICP Museum, discounts at our School, invitations to special events, and more.
Your generosity is vital as ICP expands. There are many ways to give, from donations and sponsorships to underwriting scholarships and joining committees.
Learn more about ICP through our Collections, institutional archives, perspectives, and interviews.
ICP provides photography programs and educational resources to local schools and community-based organizations. We also partner with local businesses to share our curatorial expertise.
Who we are
Our LegacyICP was founded by Cornell Capa in 1974 as an institution to keep the legacy of "Concerned Photography" alive. After the untimely deaths of his brother Robert Capa and colleagues Werner Bischof, Chim (David Seymour), and Dan Weiner in the 1950s, Capa saw the need to keep their humanitarian documentary work in the public eye. In 1966, he founded the International Fund for Concerned Photography. By 1974, the Fund needed a home, and the International Center of Photography was created. Since its founding, ICP has presented over 700 exhibitions, bringing the work of more than 3,000 photographers and other artists to the public in one-person and group exhibitions and provided various classes and workshops for students.
Financial InformationFY2017 Audited Financials (PDF)
FY2017 Form 990 (PDF)
Apropos USSR (1954 and 1973): Henri Cartier-Bresson, Classics of Contemporary Photography, and Eye of the Beholder inaugurate the exhibition program in November 1974.
New York City Mayor Abraham D. Beame proclaims November 16, 1974 to be “International Center of Photography Day”.
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis writes an anonymous column for The New Yorker on the opening of ICP.
The “Photography in the Fine Arts” organization donates over 700 original prints to the ICP Permanent Collection.
Allure: A Selection of Photographs from the New Publication by Diana Vreeland opens.
Cornell Capa is part of a delegation of American artists invited to travel in China by the Center for U.S.–China Arts Exchange.
The ICP Purchase Fund is established. Three major bodies of work are acquired in the initial year: 79 original photographs from Weegee the Famous, 95 photographs from Jacob A. Riss: Photographs 1888–1898, and 75 photographs from Lucien Aigner: Glimpses of History, all ICP exhibitions.
ICP’s full time General Studies in Photography Program is established.
The first annual ICP Infinity Awards program, recognizing excellence in photography, is held at the Waldorf–Astoria Hotel.
A complete first edition set of Camera Work, edited by Alfred Stieglitz, is acquired by the Permanent Collection.
The Permanent Collection acquires 200 photographs by members of the “Photography Art Society of Lithuania”.
ICP Archives and Collections are relocated to a newly renovated and expanded facility at ICP Midtown.
The Permanent Collection receives The Daniel Cowin Collection of African-American History, approximately 3,000 images dating from the 1850s through the 1950s. 1992: The Robert Capa Archive is donated to ICP—over 3,000 original gelatin silver prints, negatives, correspondence, publications, and a set of 937 contemporary gelatin silver prints selected as this photojournalist’s most important images.
The Weegee (Arthur Fellig) Archive and Collection—13,000 prints, 7,000 original negatives , and assorted motion picture film, exhibition announcements/posters, and personal correspondence—is donated to ICP.
James Nachtwey: Testimony, curated by Ann Sass, opens.
Deirdre Donohue is hired as the first full-time professional librarian for ICP’s 22,000+ volume library.
New Histories of Photography 1: Daguerreotypomania! opens, the first of a series of collaborations between ICP and the George Eastman House, Rochester, under the general title New Histories of Photography.
Strangers: The First ICP Triennial of Photography and Video opens.
Snap Judgements: New Positions in Contemporary African Photography, organized by Okwui Enwezor, opens, with a catalog published by Steidl.
The legendary three cardboard boxes known as the “Mexican Suitcase” containing lost film negatives of the Spanish Civil War by Robert Capa, Gerda Taro, and David Seymour arrive at ICP.
A Different Kind of Order: The ICP Triennial opens.
New Media Narratives full-time, certificate program begins at the ICP School.
The new ICP Museum opens at 250 Bowery on June 23.