[Physicians removing a young patient's body cast, Jewish Hospital for Joint Diseases, East Harlem, New York]
|Date||late 1940s-early 1950s (printed 2012)|
|Location||New York United States|
|Dimensions||Image: 10 x 9 5/8 in. (25.4 x 24.4 cm)|
The Jewish Hospital for Joint Diseases was founded in 1905 with a mission to “bring relief…to the orthopedic problems of children,” including polio. In 1917, the hospital became a charter member of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies (FJP), and by the 1940s, when Vishniac worked as a freelance photographer for various Jewish hospitals in New York, was producing illustrated brochures and annual reports of the work they were doing as part of their fundraising efforts.
© Mara Vishniac Kohn
International Center of Photography