[Physician examining a patient's chest in a Jewish health clinic, Berlin]
|Date||mid- to late 1930s (printed 2012)|
|Dimensions||Image: 14 5/16 x 9 in. (36.3 x 22.9 cm)|
In 1933, the Nazi regime began to systematically disenfranchise and exclude Jewish doctors from practicing their professions, and passed the Law for the Restoration of the Professional Civil Service, which gradually prevented Jews from entering medical school or practicing at Aryan hospitals. Jews were expelled from the National Health Insurance, and, in 1938, it became illegal for Jewish doctors to treat non-Jewish patients. As a result, the German Jewish community established clinics for Jewish patients, staffed by Jewish doctors and nurses terminated from their previous positions.
Vishniac, holding his Leica camera, is reflected in the medicine cabinet.
© Mara Vishniac Kohn
International Center of Photography