[Emigration applicant meeting with a representative of the Hilfsverein der Deutschen Juden (Aid Society of German Jews) Ludendorffstrasse, Schöneberg, Berlin]
|Date||ca. 1937-38 (printed 2012)|
|Dimensions||Image: 9 x 12 in. (22.9 x 30.5 cm)|
The Berlin-based Hilfsverein der Deutschen Juden (Aid Society of German Jews) oversaw all Jewish emigration from Germany with the exception of immigration to Palestine. The Hilfsverein’s Information Bureau provided services, advice, and aid to German Jews seeking to emigrate; daily consultations increased exponentially throughout the 1930s. By September 1939, 282,000 Jews, over half of Germany’s Jewish population in 1933, had emigrated.
© Mara Vishniac Kohn
International Center of Photography