Green Cove Springs and Clarendon, Fla.
|Location||Green Cove Springs Florida United States|
|Dimensions||Image (size for each image): 3 1/8 x 3 in. (7.9 x 7.6 cm)
Paper: 3 1/8 x 5 15/16 in. (7.9 x 15.1 cm)
Mount: 3 1/2 x 7 in. (8.9 x 17.8 cm)
|Print medium||Photo-Gelatin silver-Stereograph|
Located on the Saint Johns River in northeastern Florida, Green Cove Springs was a popular tourist resort beginning in the 1850s, famous for its sulfur springs. Wealthy visitors stayed at the Clarendon, the grand hotel seen in this image, with the springs in the foreground. The black men along the promenade were presumably workers at the hotel.
C. Bierstadt Publishers, located in Niagara Falls, New York, was owned by German-born immigrant Charles Bierstadt (1819-1903), a leading manufacturer of stereographic cards and a photographer of the American landscape, including views of Yosemite, New Hampshire's White Mountains, and Niagara Falls. He often worked in partnership with his brother, Hudson River School painter Albert Bierstadt.
Gift of Daniel Cowin, 1990