Visitor Services Assistant
Department: Visitor Services
Supervisor: Logistics and Facilities Manager
The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to photography and visual culture. Cornell Capa founded ICP in 1974 to preserve the legacy of “concerned photography”—the creation of socially and politically-minded images that have the potential to educate and change the world— and the center’s mission endures today, even as the photographic medium and image making practices have evolved. Through its exhibitions, school, public programs, and community outreach, ICP offers an open forum for dialogue about the role that photographs, videos, and new media play in our society. To date, it has presented more than 700 exhibitions and offered thousands of classes at every level. ICP brings together photographers, artists, students, and scholars to create and interpret the realm of the image. Here, members of this unique community are encouraged to explore photography and visual culture as mediums of empowerment and as catalysts for wide-reaching social change.
This highly visible position is the initial point of contact for both the Museum and School/Administration sites. Act as an ICP ambassador to enhance overall audience satisfaction. This includes interacting with current and prospective students, museum visitors, artists, donors, trustees, staff members, the media, vendors, and all others. Welcome visitors, answer questions, and provide information about exhibitions, events, education, programs, and memberships.
- Greet School, and Special Events visitors – welcome and acknowledge, check IDs, ensure all employees and visitors sign in and out, announce and direct special guests. Special Events may include exhibition openings, lectures, tours, private gatherings, etc.
- Ensure safety of people and property by following appropriate security procedures; report unsafe or inappropriate situations, following-up as needed.
- Answer main ICP phone lines. Provide information; respond to inquiries in pleasant and informed manner. When necessary take messages and deliver them to appropriate party.
- Keep current on all ICP activities.
- Check on security and cleanliness of public areas. Report anything out of place to supervisor or appropriate department.
- Stock informational material throughout the day.
- Create all class packets for Full Time and CE students and Teen Academy.
- Print Door Signs, Class Roster, additional handout materials, and daily class schedule for morning, afternoon, and night classes. To be posted at the Visitor’s desk, and Education Office.
- Print Continuing Education Lab Hour Cards for students.
- Print, and distribute Teacher Assistant hours cards weekly, and at the end of each term.
- Must be available for evenings and weekends.
- Keep reception area tidy and properly stocked.
- Accept deliveries; direct to proper department.
- Set up large tables and chairs for lectures, receptions, etc.
- Assist at special events; cover additional hours as needed.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Must be clean and neat at all times, including well-groomed hair
- No head coverings, unless it is for religious or medical purposes
- Must wear ICP issued polo shirt
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Training in providing superior customer service
- Previous visitor services, retail and/or security experience required
- Polite and professional presentation, including solid communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to read people’s needs during their visit
- Must be able to remain calm under pressure and during emergencies
- Solid computer skills preferred -- Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel
- Excellent follow through
- Knowledge of photography preferred
- Fluency in two or more languages preferred
- Commitment to providing superior customer service
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, use hands, and fingers, handle different types of items, and reach with arms, and hands.
- Will have significant face-to-face and telephone contact with the public
- Will spend portion of shift standing or sitting in one place
- Some light lifting of 50lbs or less
Special Environmental Factors:
- Can be cool in the winter
- Can be noisy
Agency Expectations of Employee:
- Adheres to Agency policies and procedures
- Acts as a role model for other employees
- Performs duties as workload necessitates
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
- Consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of position
- Meets department productivity standards
How to Apply
Submit résumé with cover letter in confidence here.
No telephone calls please.
The International Center of Photography is an Equal Opportunity Employer.