Visitor Experience Associate
Department: Essex - Operations
Schedule: Part-Time (15-25 Hours)
The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to photography and visual culture. Through its exhibitions, school, public programs, and community outreach, ICP offers an open forum for dialogue about the role that photographs, videos, and new media play in our society. To date, it has presented more than 700 exhibitions and offered thousands of classes at every level. ICP brings together photographers, artists, students, and scholars to create and interpret the realm of the image. Here, members of this unique community are encouraged to explore photography and visual cultures mediums of empowerment and as catalysts for wide-reaching social change.
ICP will open a new, fully integrated center reuniting its exhibitions and education programs at Essex Crossing, on Manhattan’s Lower East Side in January 2020.
The International Center of Photography is recruiting engaging individuals with excellent people skills to join our team as Visitor Experience Associates. This position is the main point of contact for the public and must be willing to undertake various duties. The team member is expected to exhibit excellent visitor service skills at all times.
- Proactively greet, assist, and engage ICP visitors, in a professional and inviting manner
- Enhance every person's visit to ICP by providing detailed and accurate information and directions, and by speaking to ICP’s exhibitions, classes, and public programs
- Help to maintain a safe, clean and welcoming Center—includes properly securing the Center each evening, reporting all safety issues to the appropriate personnel, monitoring proper use of the Center throughout your shift, and participating in regular light cleaning
- Engage visitors in conversation about photography and our role
- Promote ICP membership and other ways people can support our mission
- Groups—assist with educational groups to ensure an easy check-in process and flow through the museum space
- Handle ticket sales; conducting monetary and credit card transactions, and generating sales reports as needed
- Handle cafe sales; serving beverages and food, conducting monetary and credit card transactions, and generating sales reports as needed
- Handle store sales; customer assistance, stocking and conducting monetary and credit card transactions, and generating sales reports as needed
- Coat check—hang and organize coats, hats and bags within a numerical order system
- Help support special events teams with the set up and breakdown of events
- Help to facilitate a variety of programs including registration, ticket sales and evaluation as needed
- Prior visitor experience in a museum, gallery, retail, hospitality, or cultural institution preferred
- Active listening; give full attention, take time to understand, respond appropriately
- Communication skills; ability to communicate effectively, in both spoken and written word
- Reliable, dependable and flexible
- Open and welcoming, strong interpersonal skills
- Comfortable working in fast paced environments
- Judgement—recognizing when something/one requires additional attention
- Multilingual a plus
- Photography knowledge a plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must be able to move or lift up to 25 pounds.
- Employee may be required to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
Agency Expectations of Employee
- Adheres to Agency policies and procedures
- Acts as a role model for other employees
- Performs duties as workload necessitates
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
- Consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of position
- Meets department productivity standards
- Day, evening, and weekend shifts available.
How to Apply
Please submit résumé with cover letter in confidence here.
No telephone calls please.
The International Center of Photography is an Equal Opportunity Employer.