Senior Director of Marketing, Communications and Visitor Experience
Department: Marketing and Communications
Schedule: Full- Time
Reports To: Executive Director
The Senior Director of Marketing, Communications and Visitor Experience is responsible for honing, communicating and promoting ICP’s brand and its recognition, including increasing awareness of ICP’s new location on 79 Essex Street; expanding its current audience demographic; and creatively and broadly marketing ICP’s photography programs, exhibitions, classes, and its position as a thought leader about images within today’s fast-developing, widely accessible global, digital environment. They will have oversight over ICP’s brand across the organization. Energized, entrepreneurial, and innovative, they will provide strategic and creative leadership in all of ICP’s communication efforts including public relations; branding; marketing; advertising; social media; promotions; audience and alumni development; external and internal communications, and crisis and online communications. The individual will manage a Marketing and Communications and Visitor Experience team of 6 full-time and 10-12 part-time staff. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of branding; be data driven; possess a keen eye and instinct for design; and have the ability to think through how to reposition existing and historic organizational strengths in new and innovative ways that advance ICP’s mission and help achieve strategic goals and objectives.
Essential Functions and Duties:
Marketing and Communications:
- Manages, mentors and makes decisions relative to the selection, promotion, utilization, and retention of Marketing and Communications staff, providing effective and engaged leadership
- Manages overall budget encompassing marketing activities of all departments
- Sets marketing goals, priorities and objectives for marketing department and team members
- Oversees the brand identity for the organization; counsels on brand guideline application; manages development of on-brand design solutions for all communications
- Responsible for all strategic planning, including communications planning and management, marketing, and media relations
- Spokesperson for the institution; serves as main media contact; leads media outreach and promotional activities for exhibitions, educational programs, public programs, and fundraising events; manages exhibition media preview events; oversees all advertising
- Serves as writer and editor for all print and online communications, including several social media platforms
- Creates and manages social and cultural events, and occasional lobby programming projects
- Oversees publications including exhibition catalogues, education course materials, the annual report, fundraising materials, and website content and design
- Serves as speechwriter for key institutional statements and events for the Executive Director/CEO and Trustees
- Serves as core member of the ICP crisis team; participates in crisis planning; responsible for crisis communications
- Partners with other departments, including Development, Education, and Exhibitions, to meet all communications and marketing needs on an ongoing basis
- Requires availability beyond traditional office hours for activities and events during evenings and weekends
- Develops overall vision and strategy for ICP Visitor Experience from “first contact” with the visitor through the lifecycle of their stay
- Develops training and systems enabling staff to recognize opportunities to cross-promote ICP’s core functions to achieve new members, secure renewals and upgrades, encourage class and programming enrollment, identify potential donors, and otherwise “sell” ICP
- Manages the Visitor Experience budget; work with the VE team to broaden audience demographics
- Generates longer-term goals such as creating strategies for a special events, top-down licensing, e-commerce, and publications; and for pitching new products, services, and paid experiences
- Develops content for Board meetings and presents to the Trustees on communications strategies and activities
- Manages external resources and partners (retailers, peer institutions, design firms, advertising agencies, and vendors)
Additional responsibilities as necessary
- Manages a marketing team of three.
- Manages a visitor experience team of three full time and 10-12 part time
- · Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred
Minimum Experience Requirement:
- Ten+ years’ experience in communications, including senior management experience
- Proven track record of successfully managing a strategic communications plan that creatively expands audiences across multiple channels
Additional Competency Requirement (Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to utilize new avenues to generate organizational interest and following
- Exceptionally strong communicator with excellent written, oral, organizational, public speaking, presentation and interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to perform effectively in a fast-paced environment, with a high level of creativity and autonomy; to work well under pressure and manage details of concurrent projects
- Ability to develop positive internal and external working relationships, and interact effectively with Trustees, donors, media, the public, and colleagues at all levels
- Knowledge of national arts and audience trends; and experience within the cultural sector, specifically photography and modern and contemporary visual arts, preferred
- Knowledge of Google Analytics, Adobe Creative Cloud, Drupal CMS and Asana preferred
- Dynamic leader with experience leading meetings, mentoring and managing a team
- Effectively managing multiple projects, meeting project deadlines, and thriving in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, communication, and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and multitask\
- Skilled at analyzing data to inform marketing decisions and strategies to build results-oriented marketing campaigns
- Experienced at managing budgets
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to:
- Communicate and exchange information
- Spend prolonged periods of time utilizing a computer.
- Operate, activate, and use office equipment
- Move throughout the space, particularly for events and programs.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
Special Environmental Factors: (Nature of the work environment)
- COVID-19 Vaccination Required - As per the recent New York City mandate “KEY to NEW YORK,” All staff working in our indoor facility are required to show proof they have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine authorized for emergency use by the FDA or WHO.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
- ICP provides its staff with a generous benefits package featuring medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax transit and flexible spending programs, and 403(b) pension plan.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter on Indeed. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.