School Facilities and Lab Manager
Supervisor: Director of Education
The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to photography and visual culture. Through our exhibitions, education, public programs, and community outreach, we offer an open forum for dialogue about the power of the image. Since our founding in 1974, we have presented more than 700 exhibitions and offered thousands of classes, providing instruction at every level. Our new integrated center on the Lower East Side reunites our school and museum in one space to become the cultural anchor of Essex Crossing.
Responsible for managing the activities in the Lab office, Darkrooms, Digital Media Labs, Classrooms and Shooting Studio, at the School of the International Center of Photography.
Essential Functions and Duties:
Lab and School Facilities Responsibilities
- Coordinate lab personnel work hours with the academic schedule
- Ensure the department provides the highest level of customer service
- Supervise the opening and closing procedures of the lab facility
- Develop and maintain lab facility and classroom equipment operation manuals
- Maintain and enforce lab policy and procedures
- Oversee the organization and maintenance of reservation systems according to policy
- Oversee all financial operations within the lab facilities, including cash reconciliation and deposits at end of shift
- Assist the Director of Education in budget preparation and management as relatied to the School Facilities and Labs
- Create departmental usage supply charts and oversee lab supply ordering and inventory
- With the director of Education and the Senior Manager of Facillities, approve maintenance and repair of lab and classroom equipment
- Oversee the training of students, faculty and staff in use of the facilities and facility equipment
- Maintain lab office organization, cleaning and inventory
- Ensure school lab facilities are always presentable and in working order
- Organize and manage school facilities storage rooms
- Along with facilities support staff, makes routine walkthrough examinations of the need for repairs and maintenance
- Along with facilities support staff, respond to building emergencies
- With the Senior Manager of Facilities oversee and schedule service trade contractors and vendors such as plumbers, electricians, painters, etc., to ensure proper cleaning and maintenance, of the darkrooms,media labs and classrooms.
- Troubleshoot school lab maintenance issues, perform minor handyman tasks or with Senior Manager of Facilities, outsource to appropriate vendors
- Retain working knowledge of all equipment and systems within the lab facilities and classrooms
- Oversee the installation, maintenance and calibration of all darkroom related equipment including, enlargers, timers, temperature controls, etc.
- Oversee the installation, maintenance and calibration of all digital media lab related equipment including, computers, monitors, printers, scanners, etc.
- Ensure classrooms are maintained and functional including classroom equipment, computers, projectors and audio/video equipment
- Oversee usage and distribution of student lockers
- Assist with the setup and maintainance of the MFA studio space
- Participate in annual full-time student orientation providing usage and safety training for students
- Assist and coordinate with the Exhibition Production Manager and the Senior Manager of facilities during install and de-install of student exhibitions.
- Participate in weekly education staff meetings and the affairs of the education department when needed
- Adjust schedule to accommodate staff members’ vacation or sick days, including weekends and evenings
- Assist students and faculty with photographic problem solving
- Perform additional responsibilities as required
OSHA Compliance Responsibilities
- Maintain OSHA compliant protocols for lab safety and fire safety
- Ensure all required OSHA documentation is correctly compiled and stored
- Oversee darkroom OSHA training for staff, faculty, teaching assisistants and students
- Ensure compliance, understanding requirements and meeting protocols and deadlines set up by the Safety, Security, Safety and Compliance Manager
- Assist with plans and managing logbooks for safety protocol such as OSHA, fire safety and other emergency procedures
- Assist with FDNY compliance
- Oversee and supervise one full-time School Facilities and Lab Assocciate, and 5-10 part time School Facilities and Lab Assistants
- Oversee hiring and training of School Facilities Lab staff
- Bachelors degree a plus
Minimum Experience Requirement:
- 3-5 years’ management experience preferred
Additional Competency Requirement (Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Competency in B&W darkroom printing, film developing, digital printing, scaning, studio, darkroom and digital photographic equipment
- Previous experience working in support of a Photo Lab preferred.
- Experienced with performing general facility repairs such as: electrical, plumbing, carpentry and painting
- Knowledge of and experience working with Mac OS X systems, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, InDesign and Adobe Illustrator
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with a diverse public in an informative and friendly manner
- Comfortable working in an active and busy office and lab environment
- Ability to delegate responsibilities
- Attention to detail
- Must have good command of photographic nomenclature
- Foreign language skills are helpful
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb, lift and crawl when maintaining equipment and facilities.
Special Environmental Factors: (Nature of the work environment)
- The employes is required to work in cramped work environement
- The employee is required to commute between locations
- The employee is required to work in the general public environement (face to face contact with public).
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
ICP provides its staff with a generous benefits package featuring medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax transit and flexible spending programs, and 403(b) pension plan.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter on Indeed. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
The International Center of Photography is an Equal Opportunity Employer.