School Equipment Manager
Supervisor: Director of Education
The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to photography and visual culture. Through our exhibitions, education, public programs, and community outreach, we offer an open forum for dialogue about the power of the image. Since our founding in 1974, we have presented more than 700 exhibitions and offered thousands of classes, providing instruction at every level. Our new integrated center on the Lower East Side reunites our school and museum in one space to become the cultural anchor of Essex Crossing.
The School Equipment Manager is responsible for managing the activities in the Equipment room at the International Center of Photography.
Essential Functions and Duties:
Lab and School Facilities Responsibilities
- Coordinate Equipment personnel work hours with academic schedule
- Ensure the Department provides the highest level of customer service
- Manage opening and closing procedures of the facility
- Develop and maintain equipment operation manuals
- Develop and maintain policy and procedures for equipment usage
- Manage operation, maintenance and continued development of the equipment reservation systems
- Ensure student data is accurately transferred from the student registration system to the equipment loan system
- Ensure accurate inventory of all equipment and provide annual reports on inventory status
- Oversee training of students, faculty and staff in use of equipment
- Oversee and maintain office organization, cleaning and inventory
- Oversee all financial operations within Equipment Area.
- With the director of Education, review and approve purchase of new equipment
- Assist the Director of Education in budget preparation and management as relatied to the School Equipment Area
- With the director of Education, approve maintenance and repair of equipment
- Ensure all equipment is stored securely
- Oversee all in-house and external repairs
- Coordinate and arrange equipment for classes as per faculty request
- Train school equipment staff in proper usage of the equipment loan system.
- Oversee training of students, faculty and staff in equipment usage
- Manage equipment donations, acceptance and acknowledgments
- Participate in annual full-time student orientation providing usage and safety training for students
- Participate in weekly education staff meetings and the affairs of the education department when needed
- Adjust schedule to accommodate staff members’ vacation or sick days, including weekends and evenings
- Assist students and faculty with photographic problem solving
- Perform additional responsibilities as required
- Oversee and supervise one full-time School Equipment Assocciate, and 2-4 part time School Equipment Assistants
- Oversee hiring and training of School Equipment staff
- Bachelors degree a plus
Minimum Experience Requirement:
- 3-5 years’ management experience preferred
Additional Competency Requirement (Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Competency in working with a broad range of analogue and digital photographic equipment
- Previous experience working in support of a photo equipment area preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience working with Mac OS X systems, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, InDesign and Adobe Illustrator
- Familiarity with managing and working with database systems prefered
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with a diverse public in an informative and friendly manner
- Comfortable working in an active and busy office and lab environment
- Ability to delegate responsibilities
- Attention to detail
- Must have good command of photographic nomenclature
- Foreign language skills are helpful
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb, lift and crawl when maintaining equipment and facilities.
Special Environmental Factors: (Nature of the work environment)
- The employes is required to work in cramped work environement
- The employee is required to commute between locations
- The employee is required to work in the general public environement (face to face contact with public).
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
ICP provides its staff with a generous benefits package featuring medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax transit and flexible spending programs, and 403(b) pension plan.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter on Indeed. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
The International Center of Photography is an Equal Opportunity Employer.