Position Title: Lead Engineer
Supervisors: Senior Manager of Facilities
The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to photography and visual culture. Through its exhibitions, school, public programs, and community outreach, ICP offers an open forum for dialogue about the role that photographs, videos, and new media play in our society. To date, it has presented more than 700 exhibitions and offered thousands of classes at every level. ICP brings together photographers, artists, students, and scholars to create and interpret the realm of the image. Here, members of this unique community are encouraged to explore photography and visual culture as mediums of empowerment and as catalysts for wide-reaching social change.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Facilities, the Building Engineer will ensure all HVAC, MEP, fire/life-safety and building control systems are fully functioning, compliant and properly maintained. They will also oversee external maintenance vendors and ensure internal staff is appropriately trained and certified.
- Performs highly responsible independent work under general supervision in the operation, maintenance and repair of all Museum mechanical equipment
- Maintains environmental conditions in all Museum spaces
- Thorough and complete knowledge of the Museum's floor plans and buildings
- Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) system repair and maintenance (including scroll compressor, fan coil, etc.)
- Chilled water system repair and maintenance (including DX chiller, water-cooled modular scroll compressor, etc.)
- Hot water system maintenance and repair (including heat recovery chiller, VAV re-heat coils, flat tube radiators, etc.)
- Hydronic distribution systems maintenance and repair (including condenser water, pumps, air separators, expansion tanks, etc.)
- Air handling unit maintenance and repair (including mixed air VAV units, electric humidifiers, etc.)
- Lab specialty exhaust systems maintenance and repair (including filter testing and changing, in-line fans, etc.)
- Plumbing systems maintenance and repair (including domestic water, sanitary distribution and recirculation systems, etc.)
- Electrical system maintenance and repair (including 208/120v panels, lighting controls, fire alarms, etc.)
- Makes routine examination of the need for repairs and maintenance
- Respond to building emergencies
- Prepares and maintains records on work performed and materials used
- All other duties as assigned
- BA/BS or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant leadership experience required. Extensive professional experience in the oversight of the facilities, and maintenance (preferably a museum, educational, cultural institution, or nonprofit organization).
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with staff and vendors at all levels.
- Possession/eligibility to obtain valid New York Certificate of Fitness for:
- (A-35) Certificate of Fitness to Operate and Maintain Air Compressors.
- (F-07) Fire and Emergency Drill Conductor
- (S-12) Certificate of Fitness for Citywide Sprinkler Systems.
- (S-13) Certificate of Fitness for Citywide Standpipe Systems.
- (Q-01) Certificate of Qualification for Refrigerating System Operating Engineer
- (F-85) Fire Safety/Emergency Action Plan within one year of employment
- (C-92) Supervisor of Flammable Combustible Liquids
- (S-95) Supervisor of Fire Alarm Systems
- BACnet protocol
- An extensive knowledge of HVAC/control systems.
- Working knowledge of electrical systems.
- Ability to make repairs on building systems.
- Ability to read and understand architectural and mechanical drawings.
- Being able to work with both hand and power tools in a safe and careful manner.
- Knowledgeable in working a variety of lifts such as scissor lifts, boom lifts, etc.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business documents, contracts, technical procedures and regulations.
- Capacity to work in a multitasking environment and the ability to be receptive to changing priorities, well under pressure; excellent time management, problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to adhere to Museum policies and support management decisions in a positive, professional manner.
- Must be physically capable of lifting 50 lbs. or more, climbing on stairs and ladders, working in tight spaces.
- Position requires on call availability to respond to Museum emergencies 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
ICP provides its staff with a generous benefits package featuring medical, dental, life insurance, short & long-term disability, pre-tax transit and flexible spending programs, and 403(b) Pension Plan.
How to Apply
Please submit résumé with cover letteralong with salary requirements here.
Resumes without a cover letter will not be accepted
No telephone calls please.
The International Center of Photography is an Equal Opportunity Employer.