Exhibitions Department Manager
Department: Exhibition and Collection
Supervisor: Exhibitions Department Manager
The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to the practice and understanding of photography and the reproduced image in all its forms. Through our exhibitions, school, public programs, and community outreach, we offer an open forum for dialogue about the role images play in our culture. Since our founding, we have presented more than 700 exhibitions and offered thousands of classes, providing instruction at every level.
ICP is a center where photographers and artists, students and scholars can create and interpret the world of the image.
Reporting to Director of Exhibitions and Collections, the Exhibitions Department Manager administers all departmental activities. Requires interaction with staff, interns, Trustees, and vendors.
- Support Director of Exhibitions and Collections in managing the department
- Coordinate Exhibitions and Collections internship program
- Manage general operation of the Exhibitions and Collections offices, including ordering and distributing supplies; processing incoming and outgoing mail; coordinating access to Jersey City space
- Respond to inquiries from other ICP departments and the public; some requiring research, consolidation of information, and interpretation
- Assist curatorial staff with research and organization of exhibitions and publications
- Manage monthly artist portfolio review and responses
- Approve and process departmental bills and invoices; act as liaison with Finance Department; manage departmental budget and reconcile department credit card accounts
- Maintain databases for exhibition histories and mailing lists
- Maintain artist files, active exhibition files, and file archives
- Coordinate exhibition proposal review process and responses
- Maintain and distribute exhibition calendar
- Work with all relevant departments to create, update, and distribute task installation schedule in consultation with all museum departments in all gallery spaces. Follow up with relevant staff to ensure deadlines are met
- Produce agenda and other materials for weekly departmental meeting
- Manage department library and exhibition archives
- Serve as web liaison for Exhibitions department
- Liaise with Human Resources regarding hiring and all HR paperwork
- Assist with Exhibitions and Acquisitions Committee activities
- Monitor scheduling of Department Conference Room in Jersey City
- Aid in special projects
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
- May occasionally require some evenings and/or weekends
- Bachelor’s degree in art history or related field preferred
- Experience working in an office environment required
- Experience working in a museum preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Solid administrative, clerical, and organizational skills, with strong attention to detail
- Advanced knowledge and recent experience using current computer programs (e.g., Filemaker Pro, Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative suite) as well as basic technical support
- Ability to manage several tasks simultaneously in a highly demanding and fast-paced work environment, and with limited supervision
- Adherence to deadlines and strong follow-through
- Flexibility in meeting shifting demands and priorities
- A desire to function in a team and in a service-oriented environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to exercise high level of discretion, diplomacy, and initiative
- Knowledge of photography world, including major photographers, dealers, and institutions
ICP provides its staff with a generous benefits package featuring medical, dental, life insurance, short & long-term disability, pre-tax transit and flexible spending programs, and 403(b) Pension Plan.
Minimum Education Required
How to Apply
Send résumé with cover letter and salary requirements in confidence to [email protected]. Please include the job title in the subject line of all e-mails.
Director of Human Resources
International Center of Photography
1114 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
No telephone calls please.
The International Center of Photography is an Equal Opportunity Employer.