Equipment Assistant (PT)
Supervisor: Photo Equipment Manager
The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to photography and visual culture. Through our exhibitions, education, public programs, and community outreach, we offer an open forum for dialogue about the power of the image. Since our founding in 1974, we have presented more than 700 exhibitions and offered thousands of classes, providing instruction at every level. Our new integrated center on the Lower East Side reunites our school and museum in one space to become the cultural anchor of Essex Crossing.
Part-time position responsible for working in a busy office providing support to students, faculty, and staff from the Equipment Room at the School of the International Center of Photography
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Make reservations, sign out/in equipment to eligible students, faculty and staff.
- Open and close the Equipment Room
- In a timely manner, communicate any urgent issue that needs to be addressed and keep a log of relevant issues occurring during the shift. Email a Daily Shift Report to the Equipment Manager.
- Assist the Education Department and classes with equipment needs and A/V setup. Help troubleshoot all equipment and answer questions and concerns related to equipment that students, faculty and staff might have. When appropriate, direct users to existing support documentation.
- Assist with orientations, training students, faculty, staff, TAs and student workers in the proper use of photo equipment and Equipment Room policies and procedures.
- Support classes by working in conjunction with class TAs.
- Ensure only authorized personnel enter the Equipment Room area, safeguard equipment, and confirm that equipment is stored properly in the Equipment Room and storage closets according to policy.
- Help schedule delivery and pickup of equipment for off-site classes and workshops.
- Organize and maintain files for both current and returned reservation sheets. Check for late reservations and notify clients by email. Follow up on all outstanding late reservations, communicate any issues to the Equipment Manager.
- Mentor, train, supervise, and delegate responsibilities to student workers.
- Maintain an up-to-date new equipment master barcode list and reprint unscannable barcodes whenever necessary.
- Assist in logging donated equipment as instructed by the Equipment Manager.
- Perform inventory checks as instructed by the Equipment Manager.
- Keep the daily reservation board organized and current and ensure the part-time desk is kept neat at all times.
- Perform Equipment Room office duties such as answering calls, taking messages, making copies, running errands and handling deliveries.
- Organize front desk and counter areas, including filing cabinets and areas for supplies, support documentation, late reservation logs, etc.
- Maintain all cameras and related equipment in proper working order. Perform preventive maintenance and in-house repairs on all ICP equipment as needed. Follow up on reported technical issues.
- Prepare equipment for off-site repair and help with checking in returned equipment from off-site repairs.
- Control the cash register when necessary, this includes making change and cashing out at the end of shift.
- Assist with photographic problem solving.
- Adjust schedule to accommodate for other staff member’s vacation or sick days.
- Assist with photographic problem solving.
- Other general office duties and help with special projects as may be required.
Minimum Experience Requirement:
- 2-5 years’ experience working with photographic equipment, including film, audio, video, digital and studio lighting equipment.
- Knowledge of Mac OS, Microsoft Suite, Google Workspace, Adobe Photoshop, Acrobat and Illustrator
- Excellent communication skills.
- Commitment to providing superior customer service.
- Ability to delegate responsibilities.
- Must have the ability to work with an international student population of various skill levels in an informative and friendly manner.
- Attention to detail.
Additional Competency Requirement (Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Speech Recognition - The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb, lift and crawl when maintaining equipment and facilities.
Special Environmental Factors: (Nature of the work environment)
- The employes is required to work in cramped work environment
- The employee is required to commute between locations
- The employee is required to work in the general public environment (face to face contact with public).
- COVID-19 Vaccination Required - As per the recent New York City mandate “KEY to NEW YORK,” All staff working in our indoor facility are required to show proof they have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine authorized for emergency use by the FDA or WHO.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
ICP provides its staff with a generous benefits package featuring medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax transit and flexible spending programs, and 403(b) pension plan.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter on Indeed. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
The International Center of Photography is an Equal Opportunity Employer.