Director of Marketing and Communications
Department: Marketing and Communications
Supervisor: Executive Director
The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to photography and visual culture. Cornell Capa founded ICP in 1974 to preserve the legacy of “concerned photography”—the creation of socially and politically-minded images that have the potential to educate and change the world— and the center’s mission endures today, even as the photographic medium and image making practices have evolved. Through its exhibitions, school, public programs, and community outreach, ICP offers an open forum for dialogue about the role that photographs, videos, and new media play in our society. To date, it has presented more than 700 exhibitions and offered thousands of classes at every level. ICP brings together photographers, artists, students, and scholars to create and interpret the realm of the image. Here, members of this unique community are encouraged to explore photography and visual culture as mediums of empowerment and as catalysts for wide-reaching social change.
The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for creatively expanding ICP’s brand beyond its current boundaries and enhancing its reputation to that of thought leader and discussion owner around the image’s place in the fast-developing, widely accessible global, digital environment. S/he will have a strong comfort within an entrepreneurial atmosphere, and will provide strategic and creative leadership in all of ICP’s communication efforts including public relations; branding; marketing; advertising; social media; promotions; audience and alumni development; and crisis and online communications. The individual will manage the Marketing and Communications team, and is responsible for establishing an overall strategic communications plan for the institution and its programs including exhibitions, collections, education, and community outreach. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to rebrand and reposition existing and historic organizational strengths in new and innovative ways that advance ICP’s mission and help achieve strategic goals and objectives.
- Oversees the launch and implementation of a refreshed and retooled brand identity for the organization; counsels on brand guideline application; manages development of on-brand design solutions for all communications;
- Manages the creation and execution of a marketing plan for the institution’s move to its new Essex location;
- Serves as main media contact; leads media outreach and promotional activities for exhibitions, educational programs, public programs, and fundraising events; manages exhibition media preview events;
- Oversees all advertising; including online listings, tourism sites, etc.
- Oversees ICP’s social media presence, managed and executed by the Social Media Manager
- Oversees ICP’s email newsletter distribution, managed and executed by the Digital Content Manager
- Oversees ICP’s website content, managed and executed by the Digital Content Manager
- Overseeing ICP’s video content distribution, managed, and executed by the Video Producer
- Serves as writer, editor, and a central hub for all print and online communications, as needed
- Manages overall budget encompassing marketing activities of all departments;
- Partners with the Development Team on membership and donor outreach; fundraising event communications; and the creation of effective alumni stewardship initiatives;
- Makes decisions relative to the selection, promotion, utilization, and retention of Marketing and Communications staff, providing effective and engaged leadership;
- Requires availability beyond traditional office hours for activities and events during evenings and weekends.
- Develops content for Board meetings and presents to the Trustees on communications strategies and activities;
- Manages external resources and partners (retailers, peer institutions, design firms, advertising agencies, and vendors);
- Keeps abreast of trends in the industry;
- Additional responsibilities as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred;
- Ten+ years’ experience in communications, including senior management experience.
- Proven track record of successfully creating excitement and “buzz” around new initiatives and ventures;
- Demonstrated ability to utilize new avenues to generate organizational interest and following;
- Specific experience must include strategic planning, communications planning and management, marketing, and media relations;
- Exceptionally strong communicator with excellent written, oral, organizational, public speaking, presentation and interpersonal communications skills;
- Ability to perform effectively in a fast-paced environment, with a high level of creativity and entrepreneurship; to work well under pressure and manage details of concurrent projects;
- Ability to develop positive internal and external working relationships, and interact effectively with Trustees, donors, media, the public, and colleagues at all levels;
- Ability to motivate staff—both direct reports and peers across the institution—and facilitate cross-functional efforts;
- Knowledge of national arts and audience trends; and experience within the cultural sector, specifically photography and modern and contemporary visual arts, preferred.
ICP provides its staff with a generous benefits package featuring medical, dental, life insurance, short & long-term disability, pre-tax transit and flexible spending programs, and 403(b) Pension Plan.
How to Apply
Submit résumé with cover letter in confidence here.
No telephone calls please.
The International Center of Photography is an Equal Opportunity Employer.