Department: Exhibitions and Collections
Supervisor: Managing Director of Programs
The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to photography and visual culture. Through our exhibitions, education, public programs, and community outreach, we offer an open forum for dialogue about the power of the image. Since our founding in 1974, we have presented more than 700 exhibitions and offered thousands of classes, providing instruction at every level. Our new integrated center on the Lower East Side reunites our school and museum in one space to become the cultural anchor of Essex Crossing.
The Curator is responsible for initiating and implementing exhibitions and for working with the museum's collections. It is a highly visible position requiring interaction with many departments, including Education, Development, Operations, Finance and others, as well as significant interaction with artists, outside vendors, potential donors, etc.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Initiate and research exhibition ideas, in close collaboration with the Exhibitions team
- Produce and implement exhibitions, including concept and layout, and writing labels, brochures, and catalogues.
- Collaborate with artists, agents, or organization representatives to plan and select works for exhibitions.
- Participate in exhibitions planning, fundraising, evaluation, and museum education.
- Assist with sponsor and donor cultivation.
- Coordinate loan exhibitions from other museums.
- Formulate exhibition schedule and publications program with other curators and staff.
- Assist with Traveling Exhibitions program.
- Lecture on photography to general and professional audiences, and host ICP talks when necessary
- MA, or preferably, PhD in Art History, preferably History of Photography, or related area
Minimum Experience Requirement:
- At least 5 years’ experience in museum curatorial position specializing in photography
- Articulate speaker; excellent writing skills
- extensive knowledge of photography
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Ability to communicate effectively with professionals and the general public
Specialized Knowledge, Licenses or Certifications required:
Additional Competency Requirement (Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Speech Recognition - The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Information Ordering - The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
- Category Flexibility - The ability to generate or use different sets of rules for combining or grouping things in different ways.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
Special Environmental Factors: (Nature of the work environment)
- COVID-19 Vaccination Required - As per the recent New York City mandate “KEY to NEW YORK,” All staff working in our indoor facility are required to show proof they have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine authorized for emergency use by the FDA or WHO.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
ICP provides its staff with a generous benefits package featuring medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax transit and flexible spending programs, and 403(b) pension plan.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter on Indeed. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
The International Center of Photography is an Equal Opportunity Employer.