- Robert Capa, [Exiled Republicans being marched on the beach from one internment camp, Le Barcarès, France], March 1939. © Estate of Cornell Capa / ICP / Magnum, International Center of Photography
- Robert Capa, [Ernest Hemingway (third from the left), New York Times journalist Herbert Matthews (second from the left) and two Republican soldiers, Teruel, Spain], late December 1937. © Estate of Cornell Capa / ICP/ Magnum. International Center of Photography
- Chim (David Seymour), [Mother nursing a baby while listening to political speech, near Badajoz, Extremadura, Spain], late April–early May 1936. © Estate of David Seymour / Magnum. International Center of Photography
- Gerda Taro, [Training of the New People’s Army, Valencia], March 1937. © International Center of Photography. International Center of Photography
- Fred Stein, [Gerda Taro and Robert Capa on the terrace of Café du Dôme in Montparnasse, Paris], early 1936. © Estate of Fred Stein. International Center of Photography
The Mexican Suitcase
The Mexican Suitcase will for the first time give the public an opportunity to experience images drawn from this famous collection of recovered negatives. In December 2007, three boxes filled with rolls of film, containing 4,500 35mm negatives of the Spanish Civil War by Robert Capa, Gerda Taro, and Chim (David Seymour)—which had been considered lost since 1939—arrived at the International Center of Photography. These three photographers, who lived in Paris, worked in Spain, and published internationally, laid the foundation for modern war photography. Their work has long been considered some of the most innovative and passionate coverage of the Spanish Civil War (1936–1939). Many of the contact sheets made from the negatives will be on view as part of the exhibition, which will look closely at some of the major stories by Capa, Taro, and Chim as interpreted through the individual frames. These images will be seen alongside the magazines of the period in which they were published and with the photographers' own contact notebooks. The exhibition is organized by ICP Curator Cynthia Young.
The Mexican Suitcase at Arles, France, L'Humanité PDF
Visit www.themexicansuitcase.com for information about The Mexican Suitcase: A Film by Trisha Ziff.
Content: 100 contact sheets, 70 framed photographs, 60 periodicals, 2 films
Approximate running feet: 300
For information about this traveling exhibition, please contact email@example.com or 212.857.9738.
Rencontres d'Arles Photographie | Arles, France
July 4–September 18, 2011
Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya | Barcelona, Spain
October 6, 2011–January 15, 2012
Museo de Bellas Artes Bilbao | Bilbao, Spain
February 27–June 10, 2012
Circulo de Bellas Artes | Madrid, Spain | July 15–September 30, 2012
Musée d'art et d'histoire du Judaïsme | Paris, France
February 27–June 30, 2013