The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to the practice and understanding of photography and the reproduced image in all its forms. Through our exhibitions, educational programs, and community outreach, we offer an open forum for dialogue about the role images play in our culture. Since our founding, we have presented more than 700 exhibitions and offered thousands of classes, providing instruction at every level. ICP is a center where photographers and artists, students and scholars can create and interpret the world of the image within our comprehensive educational facilities and archive.
1966: Cornell Capa establishes the International Fund for Concerned Photography in the memory of his brother Robert Capa, a war photographer.
1974: Cornell founds the International Center of Photography, located in the historic Willard Straight House at 1130 Fifth Avenue at East 94th Street in New York.
1983: A full-time Documentary Photography and Photojournalism Program is created.
2000: ICP's Midtown site reopens and becomes the headquarters of ICP's exhibitions programs. The new ICP also includes an expanded store and café.
2001: The School of the International Center of Photography opens across from the museum at 1114 Avenue of the Americas in New York. The new 27,000-square-foot school facility doubles ICP's teaching space and expands programming and community outreach.
2003: The ICP-Bard MFA Program in Advanced Photographic Studies is established.